Pages

Quote of the Week

“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”
Anonymous

6/29/12

Hypnobirthing class 1 part 2-Mind over matter

Last september when I went to talk to my midwife about the hopes of getting pregnant I told her about my desire to use hypnobirthing for the birthing process with our next.  She highly recomended hypnobirthing and said that she felt it could be beneficial to all people inside or out of childbirth. Last night as Ron and I drove home and talked about all we had learned from our first class it became very apparent how that could be the case. 

Until looking into Hypnobirthing- hypnosis was the show they put on at the western Idaho fair and people got up on stage and did crazy things and had no clue what they were doing.  Truth is that is not a good way of looking at hypnosis at all.  (I have also learned that while people may respond and act as they are told to here they will not do anything that is out of their moral compass...I found this interesting because it order to refrain you would have to be somewhat aware)

Hypnosis comes from the Greek work hypnose which means to sleep
BUT
it is the appearance of sleep not sleep itself.  It was named this because when it was discovered that people could put themselves in a deep state of relaxation most of the time it appeared that they were sleeping!

We actually use hypnosis in our everyday life without even realizing it. 
Have you ever drove home from somewhere, got in the driveway and realized that you don't even remember stopping at the stop lights or taking turns and somehow you got home?  If you have then you have used hypnosis.  This happens when something becomes so second nature to us that we can do it without thought.  Chances are your mind was somewhere else and you were in a state of hypnosis. 

Here is some more very fascinating scientific things about how our bodies work that I learned last night.

Our Brain functions in 4 different modes
Beta--- 14 cycles per minute- When we are in Beta mode we are being the critic, the analyst and the judge.  We are in a concious state of mind when we are in this mode!

Alpha--- 7 cycles per minute- right before we go to bed or right when we wake up in the morning

Theta--- 4 cycles per minute

Delta---- 2 cycles per minute

The last three of these modes (I dont know if that is the correct term but that is what I am calling it) Alpha, Theta, and Delta are considered a hypnotic state of mind!  COOL HUH?? Who knew....I sure didn't!

When we first learn a skill we are using Beta mode.  Last night as we drove home we discussed that right now my husband spends a lot of time in this Beta mode because he is learning a lot at his new job and a lot in the new roll he is playing at our church.  Something I found very interesting about the Beta mode is that until a child/adolescent is 14 years old they cannot completely be in Beta.  Makes Sense if you ask me!!!

Athletes are actually VERY skilled at going into these lower 3 modes and using hypnosis because what they do becomes very second nature to them and they use the power of muscle memory rather than analyzing everything they do.  ALSO VERY COOL!

The instructor shared a story about her son with us that related to the athlete aspect of it.  This made me think of my husband who is on a softball league right now and told me he can always tell when the guys who go up to bat are actually thinking too much about what they are doing.  This past game Ron (my husband) had two really good hits and at some point in the game someone made a really dumb mistake of yelling at Ron from across the field for no good reason.  Lets just say it was completely unncessary. It made Ron really upset (me too...pregnant wife was ready to pounce) and the next time he got up to bat he didn't hit very well.  He told me last night that usually he clears his mind before he goes up to bat and after being yelled at he was so upset he focused too hard which resulted in a bad hit.   It was really cool to hear my husband putting it all together!!

The instructor said something that I think desribes it very well. 

"Hypnosis is a highly focused state your mind goes into.  Rather than trying to think through every little step.
When we are working at our most smooth flowing state we are actually using hypnosis. "

So now that I have talked about all this amazing cool biological aspects of our mind and our nervous system how does this all tie together for childbirth?

What I will now be practicing for the next several months before I deliver our baby is learning to use the Alpha, Theta, and Delta part of my mind and teach myself Self Hypnosis (because most of the time we dont conciously do this).  This will help me stay calm and collected going into childbirth and my mind away from fear.  I will be learning techniques that will help me with breathing, relaxation, visualization and Ultra Deepening. 

Last night Ron and I  listened while laying in bed to one of the tracks that was given at our class and it focuses on relaxation .  IT reminded me a lot of yoga breathing for those of you who do yoga.  Near the middle of the track I felt like I fell asleep but at the end as the person who is speaking askes you to become aware of your surroundings again I realized that I had actually never fallen asleep.  It was very cool!  I am so excited to learn more and share more with you about what I am learning! 

What do you think?  I would love to know your thoughts on either of the posts I shared today!!  Please do comment =)



  Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...